Diaper Bag Essentials for Baby


As a newborn mom, I always used to enjoy packing my diaper bag.
I used to feel it like an organizing challenge, to have everything ready for my baby whenever needed. I was told that being one step ahead of the baby, is the trick.

So this is how I used to stock up the diaper bag.

The Essentials

Diapers : I never carried a lot of diapers. I would just refill the bag based on the trip. If it was a long one or a weekend trip , I always staked some diapers in a zip lock bag and put it the car trunk. My husband used to maintain a backup in the car.

Wipes: Same thing with the wipes. I never carried the whole pack of wipes. I used this refillable  Wet Wipes Pouch and would refill it as and when needed.

Changing pad : I love love and love this Changing Clutch. It looks like a cute clutch and can hold one to two diapers and my Wet Wipes Pouch. When I needed to change, I just took this clutch with me. I hated taking my diaper bag to the restroom and leaving it on that dirty floor.



Formula: After experiencing the difficulty with a heavy diaper bag, I started using a small refillable container to have my formula and of course had the measuring spoon in it. I also have the travel size packs of Similac Powder Sticks for backup.This Formula Dispenser is also helpful.

Hot water: I use this to store my hot water. When I need to mix the formula I add some hot water and cold water to bring the milk to room temperature. This step can totally be eliminated if you baby is used to cold milk. I use this Electric kettle for hot water. I took this with me on a 15-day trip when my LO was 6 months old.

Bottles: I used Bottles with liners. I would just carry one or two bottles and many liners. When I ran out of bottles , I only washed the nipple and the nipple holder. PS: I always carried dish wash soap in a travel size bottle. You can find what soap I use here. These bottles were life-saver for me. I only used them for the diaper bag and not for daily use. Sometimes when regular bottles were not cleaned, I had these as back up for late night feeds.

Extra clothes for baby and Mom: Always carry an extra pair of clothes. You never know when the baby will spit up or have a diaper disaster.

Washcloths: These are life savers as well but I started using regular paper napkins as my LO started growing up. Bibs also are also helpful.

Baby Sunscreen : I use this but also find this helpful. The travel size stick and the spray are easy to use on the little ones and perfect for the diaper bag. Do follow the doctor's advice and read instructions before.

The Extras

Regular blanket: This will not go into the diaper bag but good to have. To cover the baby or the car seat to avoid direct sun exposure for the baby. I always carried one until my baby decided to throw it away from the car seat.

Foldable blanket: I have JJ Cole Outdoor Blanket. It was very useful when my baby was an infant and until he started moving around. I took this blanket with me. Put this on the floor along with his toys. It was like his own play area. This is totally optional, but I love it. It doesn't fit into the diaper bag so I hung it over the stroller.

Gloves/Nose mask : I would take the extra gloves and nose mask from the doctor's office, and stash them in the bag. The masks were helpful when anyone had a cold. I would politely offer these to them to wear. I know we can't avoid cold/ coughs , but its good to be safe whenever possible until the baby is a little grown up. I started ordering these masks from amazon later on.

Sanitizing wipes: I found these helpful to clean, high chairs and tables at the restaurants. My LO contracted hand-foot and mouth disease when I put him in the high chair at chilies for the very first time. For cleaning the baby's hands, I usually use the warm water to rinse. Sometimes when I am extremely insecure, I use wipes to clean his hands and then wash off with water to remove and chemical residue.
For adults, I use regular Hand Sanitizer that is always hanging to the stroller or the diaper bag.

Travel Medical Kit: This includes Infant Tylenol, thermometer , nasal aspirator , nail clippers / nail file, band aid, lotion, diaper rash cream , hand soap, all put in a zip lock bag. I never had to use most of them but would like to have them handy. You can always keep in the truck if you don't want to make your diaper bag heavy.

Diaper bag Dispenser: I used this one and hung it to the diaper bag all the time.

Mom's Essentials: Now that I have to carry this big heavy bag everywhere, why not add some goodies for me. I have a small compartment in my diaper bag where I used to have all these things: lip gloss , small comb (for my LO and me), Sample size perfume( after changing poopy diaper).

Baby toys: I always had his toys hanging to the car seat like this and this, so no additional packing required. I would always get creative in keeping him busy and gave him real world things to play with. For instance, Star bucks paper cups and lids made good toys, my LO loves stacking them.




Finally wrapping up, as a mom you are the best person to know what your baby needs and if you miss something, this time, don't beat yourself up and be prepared for the next time. A mom grows along with the baby. Most of the things on this list, don't make it into my diaper bag now that my LO is a full grown 18 months Toddler. I literally sometimes carry just the changing clutch with me.

Please leave your valuable opinion as comments below. Also, let me know if you have anything that is on your must-have list that I am not aware of, will gladly add to the list.

Love...S


For a Quick Read, here's the list:

Essentials: 
  1. Diapers
  2. Wipes
  3. Changing pad
  4. Feeding: Formula, bottles, Liners dish  washing soap travel size, hot water, Cold water
  5. Baby and Mom clothes
  6. WashCloths/Bibs
  7. Baby sunscreen
Extras: 
  1. Regular blanket
  2. Foldable blanket
  3. Gloves/Nose mask
  4. Sanitizing wipes
  5. Travel Medical Kit
  6. Diaper bag Dispenser
  7. Mom's Essentials : Lipgloss, comb, travel face wash, Travel size perfume
  8. Baby toys